Tips for Practices Open for Emergencies
Institute Patient Pre-screening
- Screen patients for travel and signs and symptoms of infection prior to appointment.
- Ask permission to take the temperature of patients prior to performing procedures. You can also institute daily temperature screenings of team members.
- Allow patients to “check in” from their vehicles instead of the reception area to allow for distancing.
Practice Proper Hand Hygiene
- Wash hands frequently and between every patient interaction with warm, soapy water for 30 seconds.
- Make hand sanitizer and hand wash materials available to patients upon check in.
- Clean and disinfect public areas frequently, including door handles, chairs and bathrooms.
- Remove all reading materials and children’s toys/books from waiting rooms.
Follow Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Guidelines
- Perform hand hygiene before putting on PPE.
- The order for putting on PPE is: Gown or Lab jacket, Mask, Eye Protection, then Gloves. The order for removing PPE is Gloves, Gown or Lab jacket, Eye Protection, Mask.
- Apply Universal precautions.
- Utilize a Rubber Dam for procedures where appropriate and have patients rinse with 1% hydrogen peroxide solution prior to procedures.
- Utilize Surface Disinfectant and Room Sterilization Procedures.